Friday, May 02, 2008

Live from... Marquette? It's... Friday morning?

Brodie Fanns!

What we've got tonight is one of the most important and longest running shows in television history.

Saturday Night Live.

In it's 33 year history it has certainly had it's ups and downs. It's highs and it's lows. It's really fucking high man's and it's terrible lows. But through it all, you cannot argue the undeniable talent that has walked through the doors at studio 8H. And I'm just talking cast and writing staff. Fuck the hosts/musical guests.

Here's the first ever sketch on SNL:



I obviously wasn't around for it's start, it's older than me by 10 years and 18 days. I joined in the fun during it's 3rd hey day of the early 90's era. Phil Hartman, Kevin Nealon, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Jan Hooks, early Tim Meadows. That's when I joined, It was later that I got into the older stuff, thanks to some old records of my dad's, and thankfully TV specials about the show. And of course reruns.

In the late 70's, there really wasn't anything to cater to the younger crowd in terms of late night comedy. Sure, I look back on Johnny Carson as a pioneer, but had I been around 30 odd years ago... it would have been different.

But along comes this cat named Lorne Michaels. A nobody at the time. And he says, "Hey, I've got a show for you." Several pitches later, "... The Aristocrats!"

Kidding. It was a late night variety show, musical guests, sketch comedy, short films. It's about what's hip, what's cool, what's now. And he puts together this phenomenal ensemble cast of Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Garret Morris and Larraine Newman. The first guest host was George Carlin, first musical guests were Billy Preston and Janis Ian. The first sketch I saw of the original cast was this one, from the 7th episode with Richard Pryor:



That sketch would never make the air today. Why? Too racially charged. But it's hilarious. It's one of the funniest sketches in SNL history, and it would never make the air today.

It showed brilliant writing, and brilliant timing between the two comedian/actors. You just don't get that today.

I don't really want to get into the full history of the show, for several reasons. a) it's just too damn long and storied. b) I don't know it all. c) a lot of it would probably boring to you.

If you really want to get into it, there is this great book called "Live From New York: An Uncensored History..."

That hyper-link takes you to the Amazon page for it. It's really good, it's written like a documentary (and should be a documentary), with excerpts written by cast, crew, writers, network execs and guests. It's a compendium. It's written by people much more knowledgeable than I.

But here's the thing about SNL and me. It, for whatever reason, spoke to me. It came into my life right when I was getting into comedy. And it showed me how much there was to it, and how much fun it could be. And how smart it could be.

Best cast is debatable, best Weekend Update anchor is debatable (not really, it was Norm McDonald), best cast member is debatable, best sketch is debatable, best host is debatable. But what isn't debatable, is the fact that this show is an institution. Even for people who have been around longer than the show, at this point, it's hard for them to remember a time when the show wasn't on the air.

Even though it really does suck right now, I still watch SNL. I will continue to watch SNL. There is promise in three newer cast members. Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig and Andy Samberg.

Bill Hader (as Al Pacino):


Andy Samberg (with Chris Parnell):


Kristin Wiig (as Penelope):


I liked that last sketch. It needs work. But it's interesting. The character could use some fine tuning. It's almost there.

And with that... I leave you with one of my all time favourite sketches. It involves Christopher Walken. And it doesn't involve a cowbell.



- Brodie Mann

No comments: