Friday, December 07, 2007

100 Favourite... Part I

So... I realize I've been on an unfortunate hiatus. But I'm coming back with a vengeance. Three reviews to come this weekend. But today is part 1 of my long awaited 7 part series of my top 100 Favourite Films of all time.

Now... this list isn't a "Greatest Films" list. It's a "My Favourites" list. I feel I have to make that distinction right away because I acknowledge that there are films I left off the list that are technically better than films I included, or the way the rankings go a technically superior film is ranked lower than another film. For example... I acknowledge that Gone With The Wind is a wonderfully made film in almost every aspect. But it's not really my cup of tea. So it's not on the list. Likewise if I were to look at the sheer mechanics of the two films, Citizen Kane would be higher than Dazed and Confused, but it's not, because there's the emotional and mental connection to Dazed and Confused that I feel weighs heavier on the decision.

There's no way I could do a scientific ranking of all the films ever made, as I simply haven't seen them all. But of the movies that I have seen, the ones presented here are my absolute favourite. It's a combination of personal taste, technical merit and emotional attachment. Part I is 100-76, Part II will be 75-51, and from then on it will be in increments of 10 accompanied by YouTube clips, if a clip can be found. Occasionally I'll post side lists, and at the end, I'll post a summary report, with different stats from the list.

Keep in mind that while certain movies may be down near 100, these are 100 favourites. A quick look at my Flikster app on Facebook shows that I've reviewed or rated 1350 odd movies, I personally own nearly 500 DVD's. I went through over 200 titles before I closed my Netflix account. I see anywhere between 40 and 70 new releases in theatres per year. And I have 3 tiers of movie channels, including their OnDemand services. Suffice it to say, I've seen a lot of movies. And these are all 5 Star flicks. So while it maybe 100, that doesn't mean it isn't damn good.

So here it is... 100-76

100) The Longest Day
99) Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
98) Chinatown
97) Halloween
96) The Dirty Dozen
95) Shaun of the Dead
94) The Terminator 2: Judgment Day
93) Goldfinger
92) 2001: A Space Odyssey
91) Bullitt
90) The Maltese Falcon
89) Superman
88) Blade Runner
87) You Can't Take It With You
86) The Wizard of Oz
85) To Kill a Mocking Bird
84) The Shining
83) Scream
82) Saving Private Ryan
81) Platoon
80) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
79) North By Northwest
78) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
77) The Matrix
76) M*A*S*H*

No comments: