Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thoughts on Cannes

Ok... I'm enthusiastic for Clerks II. Kevin Smith is one of my idols.

In his myspace blog, he was talking about the premiere of Clerks II at Cannes.

Guess what... Eight minute standing ovation.

That gives me hope.

Well kinda. Marie Antoinette got a poor reception. I don't know how much of that is due to it being an American film about French history, being reviewed in France. Maybe they didn't understand what Sophia Coppola was trying to accomplish. I'm looking forward to it... I like Coppola, and Kirsten Dunst, and Jason Schwartzman.

Richard Kelly's new film, Southland Tales wasn't recieved well. I'm looking forward to it because, shit... it's Richard Kelly. The man behind Donnie Darko.

I'm waiting to see how Richard Linklater's films fare. He's showing A Scanner Darkly out of competition, and Fast Food Nation in competition. They both look damn good. Point of fact, Linklater is the first director in Cannes history to debut 2 films at Cannes.

No comments: